Monday, September 20, 2010

Oliva -- Serie V - Robusto

Image from CigarObsession.com
Must have been a storage issue because this 94 point rated cigar didn't make the cut.

OCCASION: 1st time with Oliva PRICE: $6.95
BRAND: Oliva - Serie V
GAUGE: 50LENGTH: 5"
SHAPE NAME: Robusto
FILLER: Nicaragua
BINDER: NicaraguaWRAPPER: Nicaragua
APPEARANCE:
Flawless earth brown wrapper, minuscule veins, no bumps or blemishes to be seen. Overall a great appearance.
CONSTRUCTION:
.Firm and no spongy spots. Triple or quadruple cap? No bunches, folds, or any other structural flaw. Great construction
DRAW:  
START: Okay1/2: Poor3/4: NA
BURN:  
START: Even1/2: Uneven, relight3/4: NA
TASTING NOTES:
I picked up an initial pleasant sweetness from perhaps the wrapper or the glue used to make the cap. An initial spice that creeps along your tongue to the back and then mellows out to a creamy smoothness. There is a strong woody presence throughout the cigar and minor spice notes.
OTHER NOTES:
Great prelight aroma of graham cracker, spice and cedar. Initial draw was okay and got more difficult as time went on and I had to relight on a few occasions. After the 1/3 mark I had to relight and the cigar foot began to produce a heavy amount of thick white smoke making me wonder if the tobacco was damp. This would explain me having to relight and the poor draw I was experiencing.
EVALUATION:
Almost all aspects of the cigar, construction, appearance, and taste were wonderful and the price for such a highly rated cigar is fantastic. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the horrible draw I was experiencing to recommend this cigar and had to abandon shortly after the 1/2 point. This had to be a storage issue or some fluke because I have read of no other review that has rated this cigar poorly. I will have to try another one just to be sure but until then, this stays off my favorite list.

CigarFan.com has a great review on the Oliva Serie V Torpedo, which is the same blend as the robusto I experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment